How to Apply for SAH Benefits

March 15, 2017

Veterans and Service Members are entitled to VA grants if they are suffering from certain permanent or total service-connected disabilities. These grants are available to help veterans or service members construct or purchase an adapted home that will accommodate their disability. If you have experienced a disability and need a home that is disability-friendly to your situation there are two grants that may be available to you for a new home. One of these grants is the SAH (specially adapted housing) Benefits.

How to Apply

If you are a veteran or service member and are looking for housing that will allow you to live independently with a disability, grants are available through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

These grants would qualify you for these types of homes:

 •  A new home constructed with special adaptations on land you will purchase

 •  Construct a new home suitable to your disability on land you already own

 •  Remodel a current home if it can suitably address your disability

 •  Apply a grant towards a balance of a home you have already constructed to meet your needs due to the disability

Eligibility falls under these guidelines for the SAH Benefits:

 •  Loss of arms or legs, or loss of use of them

 •  Blindness in both of your eyes and the loss of or use of one leg

 •  Residual organic disease, injury, or loss of use of or complete loss of one lower leg

 •  Loss of the use of one or more of your lower extremities due to a service-related injury and you need equipment to either balance or move about such as wheelchair or crutches

The Veterans Affairs has an online application you can download and fill out. The VA Form 26-4555 can be found at which you would fill out and mail to your nearest Regional Loan Center. You can also call their office toll-free at 1-800-827-1000 and ask for a form to be sent to you, or visit your nearest VA office and obtain the form directly from them.

What Happens After Application?

Once you have filed a request for the SAH Benefits, a determination will be made whether or not you are eligible. A notice will be sent to you verifying your eligibility. You will be sent a supplemental application form when you are ready to receive the grant, which is followed up with an approval letter from the Veterans Affairs.

SAH Benefit agents are available to answer any questions you may have regarding eligibility, which contractor to use, or your requirements necessary for construction.  The agents are knowledgeable about all the needs and restrictions concerning this benefit. These agents can answer questions such as acquiring more than one house at a time or if construction is your choosing.

Specialists in Renovating Residential and Commercial Spaces

Community Renovations specializes in renovating or building new structures that will meet the requirements of the SAH Benefits. It is their passion to help those in need of barrier-free living solutions and complete projects to ensure they’ve made someone’s life easier.

Community Renovations have an experienced staff who can plan, design, and build home improvement solutions. This company has a ‘hands on’ approach to every level of their construction, and their pride shows in the quality provided. Their customer service and safety records are unsurpassed by any other construction company, and they are ready to build your barrier-free home today.